Pages

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Long Weekends, Nephews & Curried Chicken Salad

Another long weekend for me this weekend, bliss! And, I made the most of it. 


Friday night I headed up to my folks to wash my car. I scrubbed it inside and out, and it is now all sparkly and clean! Dad made a delicious marinated steak, rice & peas thing. It was yum, but he served me way too much!


Saturday brought exercising, cleaning and spending time with my Sister, Brother in Law and Nephews. It had been far too long since I had seen them, and it was so lovely to spend some great, quality time. The boys absolutely crack me up, they are so sweet. And my Sister and I got to have a really good chat. I'm hoping to make this a fortnightly occurrence. 
















Enjoying a snack 














Playing with gliders












Bouncing!












Hugs












Cheeky














Absolutely delicious homemade pizza that Grace made








After so much running around, and a dinner of delicious home made pizza, I was exhausted. But so happy!


Sunday brought shopping, pub burgers for lunch, dinner with Mum and Dad, and seeing Stereoflower at the Newport.


Every time we eat in Fremantle, Dad insists on eating a Gino's. I was adamant that this time, I was going to get him to eat somewhere else. I had been laying the seeds of The Monk for some time now, and was finally able to get him to eat there. And, he loved it! Dad is the one who taught me to love food. For as long as I can remember he was always in the kitchen cooking up some new dish (or old favourites!) or he was going out to eat at lovely restaurants. 










Enjoying his steak sandwich










Mum's veal schnitzel 


















My duck salad - it had radishes (yum!) heaps of shredded duck, and lovely sticky crisp duck skin. I enjoyed it with a Custard apple cider






After our huge meal, we wandered over to the Newport to see Stereoflower (check them out here or here) it was a really awesome gig, and I hadn't seen them play since Christmas Eve.


Yesterday I decided to tag along to Uni with the boy (seeing as he didn't get the day off!) I went to his Old Worlds, New Empires lecture, which was about ancient Maps. It was fun! Then I sat on one of the lawns and read my book while he attended a Tute. When we got home, I made Curried Chicken Salad. This reminds me of my childhood. As soon as I put the first forkful in my mouth it reminds me of dinners at home.


Ingredients


4 cups of lettuce, shredded
2 cups of spinach
1/2 cup of coriander, chopped
1 cup asparagus, blanched or grilled
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 cup carrots, chopped


Dressing :
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried basil
sea salt & cracked black pepper


Method


Combine the lettuce, spinach, coriander & carrots in a large bowl. And put the asparagus on (I always grill mine). While the asparagus is cooking, shred the chicken breast into the salad. I always use meat from a roast chicken I've bought from the shops, it's so much easier!


Once that's done, and the asparagus is cooked through, cut the asparagus up and add it to the salad. 


Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar or shaker, shake to combine, pour all over the salad, toss to combine, and serve. That easy!

1 comment:

  1. Coincidence, I am going to make curried chicken salad tonight

    ReplyDelete