Pages

Monday 19 March 2012

Steak Sandwiches, Flamingos & Cupcakes!

I had been craving a steak sandwich for days, DAYS! So, when Friday rolled around, I knew there was only 1 thing to do....make myself a steak sandwich for dinner. I was looking forward to this all day. So much so that I kept checking the time, all afternoon, to see if it was dinner time yet. I managed to hold out until 7pm, which shows how much will power I have now (it also may show that I had Friday afternoon off, and had a slight nap before dinner).


This recipe is for 2 sandwiches. And, the most important thing you have to remember when cooking, is always watch out for Bunnies in your fridge. 






















Ingredients


1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp BBQ sauce
1/2 clove of garlic, crushed
2 nice looking steaks, cut of your choice
4 decent sized slices of Sourdough bread, or any bread of your choice
1/2 avocado
a handful or so of mixed lettuce or rocket


Method


Combine the Dijon, Worcestershire, BBQ and garlic in a bowl, and add the steaks to the mixture, turn to coat, and leave them there while your pan is heating up.






















Once your pan is nice and hot, cook the steaks to your liking. I like my rare to medium rare.


Slice your Sourdough nice and thick, and toast.






















Spread some more Dijon on the toasted bread, then smoosh the avocado on top. 
























Then top with some of the greens and add your steak.
























 I like a little more BBQ sauce on my steak, not too much. Then top with some more greens, and top with another slice of bread. Then EAT! 












































It was everything I wanted it to be. I was totally satisfied. If I had not been so steak sandwich focused, I would probably have done some chips or something to have with it, but as it was, the sandwich was plenty on it's own. 


Saturday, the boy and I ventured to Rooftop Movies. It's a cinema they've created on top of one of the car parks in the city. It's got astro turf, deck chairs, cute little caravans, and plastic flamingos.


























It's totally my type of joint. We went to see a Lynch double of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. It was super pleasant, and we really enjoyed the venue. We sneaked off to Billy Lee's for a post movie meal of BBQ pork, Schezuan chicken and garlic broccoli. Then, we may have stayed up all night watching Dr Who....


Seeing as we did stay up all night watching Dr Who, Sunday was spent in bed, drifting in and out of sleep and watching Friends on DVD. I finally decided to get up about 6pm. This was mainly because I was hungry. I was hungry for cake. So, I made some. Dr Blythe told me about this recipe for just 2 cupcakes. So, this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. (you can find the original recipe here, but the one I've posted below I've modified slightly)


Ingredients


3 Tbsp plain flour
2 Tbsp caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 of a 1/4 tsp of baking soda 
a pinch of salt
2 Tbsp cold water
1 tbsp melted butter
a few drops of vanilla extract


For the Icing


1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp cocoa powder
3 Tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp water (have more on hand in case the mixture is too thick. Just keep adding a small amount and whisking until it's a smooth workable consistency. Not too runny and not too thick)


Method


Preheat the oven to 180C and line a cupcake tin with 2 papers. Put them in the middle of the tin.
Whisk all of the dry ingredients together. Then whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk until combined. 
























Divide the batter between the 2 cupcake papers (should be about half to 3/4's full). 






















Pop them in the oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Put the cakes on a cooling rack. 
























For the icing, combine all the ingredients, and whisk until combined. You want the icing to be glossy and a little bit thick, but still nice and workable. Pop it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to cool (it will be hot from the melted butter). I just left mine until it was cooler, but still slightly warm. Whisk it again, and slather it on top of the cupcakes. You should probably wait until the cupcakes are totally cool, but I couldn't. Mine were still slightly warm, but not too warm as to melt the icing. 












































These actually weren't bad cakes. I was quite surprised. They actually impressed me so much, that I'm working on my own 2 cupcake vanilla recipe (because I'm not a huge fan of chocolate cake). I tried to eat one last night and save one for today. But I ate them both last night. They were so simple to make, from ingredients I always have on hand, I'll be whipping these up every time I feel like cake. Well, maybe not every time, because then I'd be making them every day, and I might as well just make a normal sized batch, but, you get what I mean. Right?


Then, bunny tried to help me do the washing up....




No comments:

Post a Comment