Pages

Thursday 10 May 2012

Plush Broccoli & Spicy Soup

Wow, I have been super busy this week! I've had a pretty full client load, plus I've thrown myself back into my weight loss and fitness goal with a vengeance! I even braved the cold this morning and went for a run around the river near where I live. It was a beautiful morning, and the fresh air was just so exhilarating. Even if I was gulping it down as fast as my lungs would take it!


I skipped over to Ikea last week to pick up a few things, and while I was there, I just couldn't resist this


via ikea




























A plush broccoli! Just look at it! With it's little face! Awww


Then, as I was wandering through the cushions, trying to justify buying new ones for my couch (which I really don't need, I'm a cushion fanatic, and have millions on top of my wardrobe waiting to be used) I came across this cushion, and I knew that I just couldn't leave the store without it


via Ikea




























I know right! And, I got dinner for under $5. It was a very successful trip!


I also saw Mulder play on Friday night. It was such a great gig, and I'm super glad I dragged out in the rain to go see them. Seriously, check these guys out. NOW!


Sunday rolled round, and it was soup time! I managed to get pumpkins that were .99c per kg, so of course I was going to make spicy pumpkin and chickpea soup. This recipe serves about 4, but you can double it. And I did double it. But this recipe is the single version.


Ingredients


2 tbs olive oil
1 leek, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp of oregano paste, or fresh oregano if you can get it
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1L vegetable stock
1kg Butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1 400g can of chickpeas, drained
2 cinnamon sticks


Method


Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, and cook the leek, stirring, until soft. Add the garlic, oregano, chili and cumin, and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. 
Add your stock, pumpkin and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, clamp on a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender. 
Remove the cinnamon sticks. If you can, allow the soup to cool, and then blend it until smooth. If you want to eat it straight away, leave it for 5 minutes before blending. You can use a stick blender, but I blend it in batches in my blender. 


It's so warming, and has a great kick to it. If it is too spicy, some natural yoghurt stirred through is super yummy, and takes the edge off.



No comments:

Post a Comment