Pages

Monday 23 January 2012

Dinosaurs, Glasses & Low Fat Banana Muffins

I had a pretty wonderful weekend. It started with a swim, dinner and a movie at my Mum & Dad's house on Friday night, and continued with a girly morning with Mum on Saturday. We got our eyebrows threaded (I am seriously addicted to this, I've been 3 times now), our eyelashes tinted (another of my favourite things), a pedicure, and a manicure. I bought some dinosaurs























and some new sunglasses, and cut my fringe






















I even went for a swim in the ocean. This is a big deal for me, I don't really like the beach or the ocean, and I went all the way in, and was even happy just to sit in the sand for a bit, much to my fiance's joy (he loves the beach).

Then, Sunday rolled around, and I thought I had better make some low fat banana muffins. For some reason, I always buy too many bananas, and always end up freezing some, just before they turn. This is a good thing, because it means I always have bananas when I feel like baking banana muffins, or bread, or when I want a banana smoothie (which is often). The bananas only take about 10-15 minutes to get soft, and then it's fun to squeeze them out of their skins.

Ingredients

2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup skim milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 small bananas, mashed

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole muffin tray with papers.

In a large bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together, and make a well in the centre.

In another bowl, combine canola oil, milk, egg & vanilla. Stir these together, then add to the dry ingredients. Add the mashed banana, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.




Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cups, until about 3/4's full.
























Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until cooked through. Take out of the oven, and leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.





You can also add other things to this batter, raisins, choc chips...anything really. But obviously these things add calories. The muffins, just on their own, are 190 calories each. 


No comments:

Post a Comment