Pages

Monday 16 July 2012

Revelation Round-Up Friday 13th - Sunday 15th July

Revelation ended yesterday :( I saw some amazing films and documentaries this year! It was so enjoyable. Here is the last of the films that I saw. There were 3 on my list that I didn't end up going too, but that's OK, I'll see them eventually.


Friday 13th July


Mongolian Bling - Hip Hop has become one of the most distinctive and universally recognised forms of music, and this documentary explores the genre’s impact in Mongolia and, more importantly the impact of Mongolia on hip hop.

Taking their cameras through the thriving music community of the country’s capital Ulaanbaatar and exploring all aspects of the local scene, the filmmakers paint an absorbing journey into the Mongolia’s hip hop culture as well as the country’s wider musical heritage. While some stars are rapping about the familiar themes of western Hip Hop, there are others who are more interested in combining the beats of Hip Hop with their own local musical traditions and songs about their own concerns.

Offering a distinctive and personal view of the local scene Mongolian Bling is a film that finds the unique in the familiar, and makes you pause and think again about the sounds you dance too. Forget about nomads and monks! It's Hip Hop that's making Mongolia move in the 21st century! - I took my little bro, Alex, and his girl, Elena, along to see this film. I really enjoyed it, and I think Elena did too, but Alex didn't. Although it was advertised as a music documentary, it wasn't really. It was a look at modern Mongolia. Which I found really interesting. The filmmaker, just focused on those whose art is hip hop. It was great to see how the traditional Mongolian folk songs, and shamans all embrace the modern hip hop, and see it fit right in to their culture. 


Saturday 14th July 


Those Who Kill: Shadows Of The Past - Opening with a late-night mass shooting on a bus, this tense film has that Danish feel Rev loves.


An unnerving exploration of psychopathology, personal history and individual accountability, Those Who Kill is a tight, lean and urgent thriller. 

Detective Katrine Ries Jensen and legal psychiatrist Thomas Schaeffer form a special unit at the Copenhagen Police, investigating serial killings. As a case from Schaeffer's past crops up they’re thrust into an intense race against time as the killings continue and the case becomes increasingly personal. - I thoroughly enjoyed this Danish thriller. It was not at all formulaic, and had a twist I didn't see coming, and an ending that Hollywood would never in a million years allow. If you get the chance, see this film. It follows a psychiatrist, and his cop partner hunting for a former patient who has started killing...but like I said, there is a twist you won't see coming. 


My Brothers - With their father dying, three brothers set out on a quest to replace a digital watch he won years before at a small seaside town. Driving across rural Ireland in a van that can barely run, seventeen-year old Noel is wracked with both fury and guilt at the predicament his father’s imminent death places the family on. Middle brother Paudie is witty and vulgar, while the youngest sibling, Scwally, carries a lightsaber with him constantly although he has never seen Star Wars.- A very witty Irish film. I really enjoyed it. I was starting to feel a bit yuk, and very nearly went home, but I'm so glad I stayed to watch it. The 3 brothers were absolutely brilliant, particularly the littlest, Scwally. 


Sunday 15th July 


The Trouble With Bliss -  Morris Bliss’s life is stuck in a dead end. The 35-year-old slacker is broke and stuck living with his silently frustrated father (a deadpan Peter Fonda), but dreams of travelling to places he has only ever read about in books by Orwell and Bowles. Bliss’s problem is simple; he’s just waiting for something – for his life - to happen. And then there’s Stephanie the precocious 18-year-old who seduces him and who happens to be the daughter of an old school friend and Andrea (Lucy Liu) his bored neighbor. What little order Bliss has in his life slowly starts to unwind, because sometimes decisions have to be made. - Another witty film, set in New York. Michael C. Hall played this role brilliantly, the almost childlike bewilderment that the things that are happening to him, are actually happening, and allowing him to let go and live life. Again, really enjoyable.


Rampart - Woody Harrelson delivers a bravura performance as the corrupt-as-hell cop David Brown in this taut thriller that worms its way into the audience’s psyche and never lets up. Perfectly paced and styled with muscle, this film paints a gritty picture of the last of the corrupt cops in an LA of authentic, sunburned streets.


Directed and co-written by Oren Moverman (writer of the brilliant I’m Not There and director of the Oscar nominated The Messenger) Rampart delivers on all levels. Featuring the likes of Cynthia Nixon, Ice Cube, Ned Beatty, Steve Buscemi and Sigourney Weaver, all offer powerful performances. From a script co-written by the stone-cold undisputed master of modern LA noir James Ellroy (LA Confidential) Rampart is as sharply written as it is cast.- This was a dark, brutal film. Woody Harrelson is excellent as David Brown, a character who has absolutely no redeeming features. He is cold, and dark. He is mean, and a killer. But, the film was excellent. Although, mum didn't enjoy it very much.


So that's it. that's all the films I saw. sorry that I'm not too great on elaborating, but like I said I'm not a film reviewer!


I have a really busy week again this week! Starting Tuesday, Dinner with Jesse and his folks, I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Wednesday brings BYO at Hawkers in Northbridge, and Friday and Saturday nights is time to catch up with friends. I'm going to be pooped! But, I'm in a really amazing place right now. I don't think I have ever been so happy. My life is just right on track. I have my own business, doing something I adore. I've fallen in love with my best friend, which is just amazing. And he is amazing. And no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to wipe this smile off my face. Being happy is amazing, I strongly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment