Pages

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Toad In The Hole

One of my all time favourite meals is Toad In The Hole. It's comforting, ridiculously simple to make, and oh so yummy. 

I asked Jesse what he fancied for dinner the other day, and he replied with 'Dunno' which my brain turned in to 'Doughnuts!' which then lead to Toad In The Hole. Yes, that is seriously how my mind works. I also think of really strange things when I'm falling asleep  like 'Did dinosaurs sleep lying down or standing up?' or 'Do fish yawn'. 

So, anyway, back to the Toad In The Hole. This really is one of the most simple meals to make, and it's quick. 

Ingredients

6 x really great quality sausages.
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs (at room temperature. Always bake with room temp eggs)
1 cup cold water
1 cup milk
olive oil
peas
Gravy

Method

Preheat your oven to 200C. 

Your Yorkshire pudding batter needs to rest for a bit, so I always make this first. In a medium bowl, combine your flour, salt & pepper. Make a well in the center. Lightly whisk your eggs, and add them to the well, along with your milk and your water. Whisk until combined. It will be like pancake batter, a little lumpy, but nice and thick. Put this to one side.


Put a nice glug of olive oil in to a baking dish, and line up you sausages


Stick them in the oven to brown. I just keep an eye on them, and turn them once. It's about 10 - 15 minutes.

Once your sausages are nice and browned, and your oil is nice and hot, and all the sausage grease as oozed out and mixed with the oil, it's time to add your batter! Carefully take the pan out of the oven, pour the batter on top of the sausages. The put the dish back in the oven, and cook until it's risen, and brown. About 20 minutes.


In the last 5 minutes of cooking, I make my peas and my gravy. You really can't have Toad In The Hole without peas and gravy. 


It should be soft and fluffy on the inside, and crisp on the outside. 

This recipe can be used to just make Yorkshire Puddings too. Just preheat your oven, make your batter, place a good amount of oil at the bottom of each cup of a 12 hole muffin pan, and put that in the oven to get the oil nice and hot. Once the oil is hot, divide the batter between the cups, filling up till about 3/4 full. Put this back in the oven until the puddings are browned. 

It's really that simple!

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before!!! I'm definitely one of those chicks that likes gravy on pretty much anything.... so.... YUM!
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may need to make this for the boy! Looks like something he would love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! try it! And, let me know how it goes :)

      Delete