Pages

Tuesday 12 March 2013

3 Good Things - Honey

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you will know that last night Jesse and I started our own version of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 3 Good Things. The premise is that you can create a really fantastic dish using just 3 Good Things. Each chef is given 1 main ingredient, and can then pick 2 more to create their dish with.

Jesse and I grabbed our copy of Larousse Gastronomique and randomly picked our first ingredient. Honey. He decided to do a main dish, so I settled on a dessert. 



Jesse was well underway with his dish by the time I got home yesterday evening, but, I didn't let that stop me!


Jesse's station
I decided that my dish was going to be a baklava. Or, my version of one, anyway!

Ingredients

Filo pastry - I used 3 sheets
Nuts - I used almonds, but only because I couldn't get pistachios
Honey
Melted butter

Method

I'm not really sure what quantities I used. I just sort of threw it all together. 

Lay out a sheet of pastry, and brush with the melted butter, place another sheet on top, and repeat. 




Blitz your nuts in a food processor, until roughly chopped. Lay the nuts out of the pastry, and drizzle with some honey. 



Roll the pastry up, brush the top with some more butter, and place in a dish. 

Bake in the oven at 170C for about 30-40 minutes. Basically when the top is crispy and golden, it's done.



During the last few minutes of cooking time, combine about a 1/4 cup of honey with a teaspoon of water, and pop them over low heat to make a syrup. Once it's syrupy (about 5 minutes) turn off the heat, take the baklava out of the oven, and pour the syrup over it. 

Let this sit in it's honey syrup to cool and until you are ready to serve. I basted mine every now and again.



Cut the roll in to generous pieces (you get about 3) drizzle with more syrup, and serve!


So, both meals were a success. I think we both won!

Jesse's Chicken, Pearl onions & Honey

My Baklava. Jesse wanted ice-cream - it's not really counted as one of the 3 good things.

This was so super fun! and I am really looking forward to next weeks challenge. I wonder what our ingredient will be!!


No comments:

Post a Comment