Pages

Monday 18 August 2014

Are You Enough?

A few different things have led to this post. Conversations with friends and colleagues, in forums, Suger and Alex's post about implicit or core values. And it's been floating around in my brain for about a week, and it's finally taken shape. 

At a workshop I was at with some colleagues, and friends a weekend or so ago, we were talking about our implicit values. Those values that we carry with us that help us be who we want to be in the world. My core values help me be safe in the knowledge that I am enough. 

99% of the time (because lets face it, we're human, and we all have totally shit times sometimes, and that's ok. It's part of life) I know that at that point in time, I am enough. Just typing those words bring about such powerful emotions. I went through so many years of my life believe that I was not enough. That I needed to be thinner, richer, smarter, more travelling, have a bigger house, a better car, more friends, expensive clothes. I don't. How I am, right now. Is enough. 

So many people go through life thinking that they aren't. Imagine the shift in the community we live in as a whole if we changed our thinking. If we stopped believing the media, and started believing that we are ok, just how we are. Life would be easy. Life should be easy. That was a huge lesson for me. Life doesn't need to be hard. 

Start being ok with who you are right now. This doesn't mean that bettering yourself should stop, no, that's not what I'm saying. But, if you are ok with who you are now, things become easy. It doesn't matter if you get that promotion, if you do, fantastic, but you were still good enough at that lower position. You get what I'm saying?

I have a job that I love. Study that I love. A partner who doesn't want me to be anything more that what I am. A family who thinks the same. I don't expect them to be anything more than who they are. Because we are enough. 

I am enough. Are you?