Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Ice Cream, Coconut Ice & Salted Caramel Sauce

As I've mentioned, I did a bit of Christmas baking. This year I decided to make ice cream, salted caramel sauce, coconut ices, and chocolate treat. 

I've shared the ice cream recipe and the chocolate treat recipe on the blog before, so you can find them here and here. Also, the great thing about all these recipes (exept the chocolate treats) are gluten free! My brother is a Celiac  so I always keep that in mind when we are having a family meal.


Coconut Ice

Ingredients

2 cups sifted icing sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
395g tin of condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups of desiccated coconut
2-3 drops of pink food colouring

Method

Line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper (or use a disposable foil tin). Sift the icing sugar in to a large bowl, and add the cream of tartar. Pour in the condensed milk and vanilla essense and stir until well combined. Add in the coconut and mix with your hands until all combined. 


Divide the mixture in 2, and add the pink food colouring to one lot of mixture. Kneed until it's evenly coloured.

Press the pink mixture into the prepared pan, and smooth with your hands. Top with the white mixture, pressing down and smoothing with your hand. Then refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm.



After you've refrigerated it, turn it out of the pan, and cut it in to squares. Easy peasy!




Salted Caramel Sauce

I know I've shared my salted caramels here before (go here for these!), but this year I decided to make a sauce for the ice cream. Now, you could add this to the custard, and churn it in to the ice cream itself, but I prefer to put lashings of it on top. It's great warm, fresh off the stove, as well as cool, just store it in a jar or jug in the fridge. 

Ingredients

75gm unsalted butter
50gm light brown sugar
50gm caster sugar
3 Tbsp golden syrup
a very full, almost overflowing 1/2 cup double cream
1 tsp salt. I use the salt flakes

Method

Melt butter, brown sugar, caster sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. bring to a simmer, and let that sit for about 3 minutes. Swirl the pan every now and again.

Add your cream and salt, and stir. Leave on the heat for another minute or 2, until all the cream is combined, and it's thickened slightly. Pour it into your jar or jug! 

And I just realised I didn't take any photo's of the sauce! But, it will be a light caramel colour. It's very hard to stuff it up!

And there you go, 4 easy, but naughty recipes to enjoy!

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year, we went to see my brothers band play, then headed up to my parents place to drink champagne and eat lots of food. It's my littlest brothers birthday today, so a very happy birthday, Alex!!

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me or do those squares look like some type of Lush products? Yummy and full of fragrance.
    Because they do to me. And coconut? I love it. In cakes, ice cream, body lotions,shower gel. Coconut and vanilla. My favorite scents. Kisses and hugs
    Love, Andreea!

    By the way, new subbie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! They do look like some sort of Lush product! I can tell you that they were hits, everyone loved them, and they are so easy to make :)

      Thanks for stopping by!! xx

      Delete